Monday, January 21

Lost for Words


There are always some parts of the bible that we find tricky.

Perhaps it's because the language is hard, or it's culturally removed, or we just don't want to do what it says.

But how about this scenario.

Imagine you are involved with a church running a ministry for deaf people. Each Sunday morning you sign the service, songs and sermon to those in the congregation who are hearing impaired. It's a great ministry and you have had a great start to the year. Until now.

Because this Sunday you had to sign the bible reading and the sermon - which both revolve around Galatians Ch 5:11-12

11Brothers, if I am still preaching circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been abolished. 12As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!

If the beginning of v11 was tricky, the end of v12 is a shocker!

This happened yesterday to my good friend Lisa Harvey, who is doing what I just described, having launched the ministry for the hearing impaired called 'Talking Hands'.

It would be a great work to pray for as the year continues.
I've got some prayer points for Talking Hands available on request.

But apart from that, you gotta love the story :)

Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scottie! Well, of course I have to comment as I'm the one you're talking about! Let me just say that thank goodness I know how to spell in Sign Language!! When it came to the word, 'emasculate', well, I just made up the sign which was self-explanatory!(Mervyn had a good chuckle as he watched me for that sign out of the corner of his eye!)

Justin said...

lol