Wednesday, August 2

I've got Bible Study tonight on Eph Ch 1v15-23
Thought I might try and straighten my thoughts out here . . .

It’s a prayer that is packed full of big ideas.

Essentially, Paul is asking something for his Ephesians buddies. He wants them to ‘know God better’. Not that they might find extra secrets, but rather that they can plumb the depths of what they already have (1:1-14). We might say he wants them to ‘get’ something. Not ‘get’ as in receive, but ‘get’ as in he wants the penny to drop (v17).

(It’s worth keeping in mind that the Christians in Ephesus lived with the statue and temple of Diana towering over their city, one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world. Paul has some serious convincing to do if he is to give them assurance that they haven’t backed the wrong horse! Which is why he repeats in v17 and 18 ‘so that you may know’. He wants them to see that their Christian assurance comes from their knowledge of God. Good lesson for us too!)

He wants them to know with their whole person (the eyes of their heart) their hope (v18) and God’s power (v19) In fact, he spends the rest of the passage fleshing out this idea of what it will mean for them to ‘get’ God’s power.

We know this power of course. We have seen it in action. It was the power that we saw when God raised Jesus from the dead (v20) and the same power that God used to give Jesus all authority to rule over everything for all time (v21).

Now the thing that should bake our noodle is that this power is for us! (v19) Because in v22-23 we read that God gave Jesus this power with a purpose – that he might rule over everything for the church! We probably would have expected to read that this great power was for the glory of Christ, but no! His power is manifest in the church so that it will be a neon sign flashing like crazy, drawing the world to God and his people (Ch 3:10)


I'm pretty excited by all this, but still wanting the pieces to fall into place.

What does it mean to be possessed by the power of God?
Is it meant to elevate our view of church? In what way?
Will it affect the way we do church? How?
How will this ‘knowledge of God’ change the way to think about yourself?

Scott

8 comments:

Justin said...

I did a sermon on this 4 months ago here in NYC. I like your thoughts and your questions are great.

My sermon doesn't answer all your questions. And its late in the afternoon for you. But would you like to look at the full text? I can send it to you: jmoff at hotmail dot com

Justin said...

YEah -- when I say that I did a sermon on 'this', I mean the same text.

Anonymous said...

some good and interesting thoughts there!
Firstly, I love Ephesians.
Secondly, I love that no matter how many times we read the Bible (ie i've studied ephesians a number of times) we can ALWAYS learn more! Awesome!

Thirdly, I am really almost asleep as i read this so thats probably not ideal, but I have a few thoughts...

Earlier today I had read thoughts on God's glory here: http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/community/viewtopic.php?t=2018
where it speaks of God's purpose in His glory etc...and i guess off the back of that then reading what you said "We probably would have expected to read that this great power was for the glory of Christ, but no! His power is manifest in the church" i guess i see a bit of a contradiciton between those two.. if read a certain way that is...
So, my question therefore is do you mean that the power doesnt only go to Christ but is also given to us (awesome and totally not expected or justified), to ultimately bring glory to God anyway??

(not sure if i am very clear here, hope so, sorry if im not).


I think the knowledge of God's power within us should definately change the way we view the church and think of ourselves - on a very basic level perhaps, but just cos we can have confidence that it is Him working in and through us. That confidence should impact how we live our lives, speak to others about the Truth, and teach the Truth, should it not?!

...as i said, im due for bed, so i hope these thoughts still make some sense...
enjoying hearing your thoughts on these things though scott!

Justin said...

How did it go?

Scott said...

Chelsea
thanks for the thoughts!
Your right of course, the fact that the God's power in Christ is purposed for the church does bring glory to Him. I guess what I found a bit weird about that is that we would expect that power to have a christological end, but rather the divine power is used to make an ecclesiastlogical point. (spelling?!)I'll check out the link - thanks!

Scott said...

J

BS went ok to well. It's a big group (20). I find leading BS exciting but taxing and I rarely feel like I have triumphed. At best I feel like I have won minor skirmishes. We began some good soul searching on church, and our church here too.

PS: My word verification for this comment was tozzb. I like it!

Justin said...

Nice to hear. I hope that you got my emails.

I have also rarely felt like I triumph.

PS hflnlgu

Anonymous said...

hm interesting stuff scott!
that is weird hey, i guess it shows again how God is always working in ways we dont expect...
anyway, let me know if you find out more/ have more thoughts!

Glad the study went well!

I too can relate to the rarity of the triumph!