Thursday, July 27

Are you happy?

I'm speaking at Westerford CU today, kind of a spur of the moment invite. They are looking at the fruit of the Spirit and asked me to talk about the difference between happiness and joy.

Huh?

Considering I'm giving the talk in 3 hours, it's way to late for my blog brothers and sisters to help, but let me tell you what I've got so far.

Happiness is FEELING good about life
Joy is KNOWING your life IS good.

Don't get me wrong, happiness is good, really good. But it is unpredictable (is what makes you happy now the same thing that made you happy when you were 15?), really circumstantial (and so to a big extend out of your control) and usually only lasts a short time.

And that's why people spend their whole life try to chase happiness, because it DOESN'T satisfy. It's like trying to nail jelly to a wall. I reckon in the evolution of stuff, when happiness grows up, it wants to become joy.

Joy is knowing who you are and where your going. It's knowing your forgiven, accepted and heaven bound. These facts of life might bring you hardship, but you will still have a peace, calmness, contentment, satisfaction that happiness alone can't deliver.

Happiness is just joy with amnesia, trying to drown out the uncertainty with sound and fury.

Where do you fall.? Happy, or joyful? Or both? (or neither?)

Scott

3 comments:

Craig Tubman said...

when happiness grows up it wants to become joy - perfect!

copyright that sucker now!

hope it went well.
I used your airplane and japanese soilder illustrations in my 'exam' sermon today.

thanks for the help.

Justin said...

Profoundities:

Happiness is FEELING good about life. Joy is KNOWING your life IS good.

A profound observation: is what makes you happy now the same thing that made you happy when you were 15?

I'm with Craig: I reckon in the evolution of stuff, when happiness grows up, it wants to become joy.

Copyright this too: Happiness is just joy with amnesia, trying to drown out the uncertainty with sound and fury.

Did I say Profound?

Anonymous said...

Amen. Definately profound.

"Happiness is just joy with amnesia, trying to drown out the uncertainty with sound and fury."

Love it!
I love that joy comes with certainty and that we can be joyful without being happy - a thought that probably sounds like nonsense to the world.
Anyway,Good thoughts Scott, hope it went well!