Tuesday, April 1

12

I have just seen a great movie, a movie that got to me.

But you'll be surprised what it was.

'Cheaper by the dozen'


Yup, the Steve Martin flick where he and his wife have 12 kids. (And it's got a great character which Ashton Kutcher does to perfection). It's a comedy, heart warming great movie. I was surprised. (I love Steve Martin, but I was expecting a Disney puke fest)

Here is why you should watch this movie and what it did for me.

1. It torpedoed the myth that if I work harder (longer hours, more stress) to provide more for my family, they will be better off. I find it hard to beleive that people still buy into this, but I have recently discovered that they do, big time. This was a refreshingly Christian message to get from a mainstream movie.

2. It encouraged me to not feel intimated by others when it comes to family. If you're on a good wicket, thank God for it and live it to the max. Don't listen to the detractors who try to lure you back to their highway of mediocrity.

But perhaps most importantly . . .

3. It reminded me of the joy of selflessness. Of giving up yourself for others. In a family of 12, that was the road they had chosen. And I know it is just a silly movie, but man, it had me at 'hello'. I was sold again on the message I first recieved from the scriptures (and my own parents) that to give yourself fully to others is the only way to get true freedom from self. As Jesus says, if you want it all, you gotta give it all away.

Make no mistake, it is a risk to do this. It is completely counter intuative. To others it will make no sense. Maybe not even to yourself, but it is truly a beautiful thing.

After the movie ended, Hayley and I re committed ourselves to selfless living. We had to do that becuase we are not very good at it. But we are learning, and we are now a little more hungry for it, and 'Cheaper by the Dozen' was a great inspiration.

Not bad for a Steve Martin flick eh?
Make sure you watch it soon.

Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that movie! And it didn't even put me off wanting to have 12 of my own :) Seriously, I also found it a deeply satisfying movie for all the reasons you've so eloquently outlined. Thanks man!

Love T