Monday, January 22

Why you may have more in common with Romania than you think

Last night I met the Consular General of Romania.

He is a really nice guy, easy to talk to and has been in the country with his family for about 3 weeks. It turns out he is a Christian, has studied theology and done a Phd in human rights at Oxford. This is his first diplomatic posting.

For the record, I discovered there are about 150 Romanians in Cape town and about 4000 in the country as a whole.

He has a couple of teenage kids who will come along to our youth group which is tops. And he has already invited me over to the consulate to play tennis!

It made me think though. If you're anything like me, when it comes to evangelical Christianty we think Sydney, friends in the UK and Canada, some select Americans and the outposts like SA. It is great to be woken up to the fact that there are brothers and sisters all over the globe. Even in Romania. As my good friend Fritz keeps reminding me; there is a lot to be saidfor global Christianty.

Viva la Romania!!!

Scott

PS: He told me about a website he started. I haven't visited it yet but why not pop into www.areopagus.ro

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with Fritz, and I think he's in good company with Jesus, John 17:20-23
"I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me."

And Scott, the struggling Canadian church would be encouraged to be included in what springs to your mind ...