Tuesday, November 21

2. The Goodbye

About 6 hours after we watch Leights and Kitty drive off into the rest of their lives, I said goodbye to our matrics for 2006. They ran their final Senior Youth and did an awesome job. I love them, and they are my friends, as much as a 12 year age gap will allow. It was hard for me to say goodbye to the end of an era, and as if to punctuate the moment, we had a fierce, but short, summer thunder storm.

Rain pelted down on the hot cement just after dusk and in a matter of seconds, that beautiful smell of hissing rain topped off the most emotional time of my year. At the end of Novemember I always say goodbye. But this time the summer rain took me back to 1996 when I said goodbye to my first ever biblstudy, as the grade 9's moved up to Senior High back at Christ Church. It rained then too, same sound, same smell, and although it reminded me of sad goodbyes, it also was kind of poetic.


(plus Andy baby)

(plus Nadine, Lisa, Lucy)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh scott i can very much relate to this one - my girls are in yr 9 and just moved up to SH too...crazy times! 2 more bible studies with them ever!! wow!

Justin said...

1997 it was. I remember it well. Love your work, Scott.

Not only the gospel, but your life as well...

Scott said...

J,
you played the sunscreen song and it is now forever a part of that memory, in fact, I think i'll go and listen to it now . ..

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what truly beautiful girls...inside and out.

I am so proud to have hadthem as part of my life. I think they may actually have taught me more than I ever managed to teach them.

Lots of love
Carlz