Wednesday, January 4

The Lion Returns

I have dipped into some books over the last few days and struck gold. I’ll try and deposit some of the nuggets on the blog over the next little while. I don’t want to bore you (second hand insights can get a little try hard) but as I said, this stuff is gold and will shine – even if I am its messenger.

I’m up to see Narnia any day now and I just finished reading the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. Check out this piece. (Aslan the lion has just been killed by the witch and risen, to the surprise of Susan and Lucy)

“But what does it all mean?” asked Susan when they were somewhat calmer.

“It means”, said Aslan, “that though the witch knew the deep magic, there is magic deeper still which she still did not know. Her knowledge goes back only to the dawn of time. If she could have looked back a little further, into the stillness and darkness before time dawned, she would have read there a different incarnation. She would have known that when a willing victim who had committed no treachery was killed in a traitor’s stead, the table would crack and Death itself would start working backwards.”

The director of the movie said that he wanted to recreate the fantasy world he enjoyed from the novel as a kid. He didn’t think C.S. Lewis had any intention of making it a reflection of the gospel. For he who has ears to hear . . .

Scott

No comments: