Friday, November 11

What the hell was he thinking?!

Ever had a conversation that caught you completely by surprise? Well, that was me yesterday at Mug and Bean (for the Aussie crowd - a coffee shop chain). Waiting for my mate Craig to arrive I was shown to my seat by one of the regular waiters. I had my bible with me and as soon as it hit the table . . . .
"Is that the Holy Bible?" he asked. Actually it was more of an accusation that a question.

"It sure is" I replied.

"Let me show you something", and with that he helped himself and flipped straight to Mark Ch 16. I thought I was about to be harassed for the fact that the end of Mark gets all weird, but instead he started pointing out something about the Sabbath.

"When was the Sabbath held in Jesus day?"

Then it started to fall into place. Ahhh, this was to be a test.

"Probably Saturday" said I.

He felt he was close to the kill and flipped his way to Exodus and the 10 commandments. Smelling blood in the water he proudly pointed out that God had said to keep the Sabbath holy.

Straightening up he asked smugly "So, what day do you go to church?"

When I told him Sunday he just smirked and wagged his finger at me! I didn't know if I wanted to break his finger off or laugh. Instead I said,

"But you've forgotten a verse. Let's have a look at Heb Ch 4." And I tried to show him that the Sabbath rest God is really concerned with is eternal rest with him in heaven and that it probably didn't really matter what day he went to church. Unfortunately it probably didn't quite come out that clearly at the time.

He looked wounded and scurried back to the kitchen. I think I had won the fight but I didn't really feel good about it. I responded like an scholar when I really should have responded like an evangelist.

Still, I always wondered where good ideas for blogs came from. Now I know.

Scott


No comments: